Removal of damaged I-495 piers underway
By Tom Lehman

WDEL File.
Construction crews are dismantling the damaged piers beneath the Interstate 495 bridge over the Christina River, state transportation officials said.

Four piers that no longer support the weight of the bridge will be removed in a time-consuming process that is expected to wrap up late this year, DelDOT spokesman Gregory Layton said.

The structure is currently resting on a new and stronger subsurface foundation and temporary steels towers and header beams, Layton said.

The removal process involves sawing the piers into sections of concrete and lowering them to the ground. New piers will be erected in place of the old ones.

Layton said the entire project is expected to take several weeks.

The bridge, which is used by about 90,000 motorists each day, was shut down in both directions on June 2 after being ruled unsafe because of tilting support columns.

DelDOT reopened the southbound span on July 31. The agency began allowing traffic on the northbound side last month.



Copyright © Oct 25, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.





 More I-495 Stories




Copyright © 2014, Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use.
WDEL Statement of Equal Employment Opportunity and Outreach