|Some fans of fans are gathering in Delaware next month.
From plain cardboard to elaborate ivory and feathers, hand fans are the rage for some collectors gathering in Delaware in April.
Liz Firestone Wehle of Wilmington is helping to coordinate the Fan Association of North America's assemblage April 18 to 21st.
"Because of being so nuts about what our state has to offer, I said, 'How about coming to Delaware?'"
FANA, with 250 members worldwide, was formed in 1983. The most sought-after fans are made of ivory and silk.
"In the worlds of fans, the age has a great deal to do with it, and the Chinese/Japanese, more so the Chinese, are unbelievably desirable," she said.
Some collectors go a different way.
"With the advertising fans, it would either be for Green Giant creamed corn or your basic funeral home," she said.
The FANA members will visit fan collections at Nemours and Winterthur. The fans of fans will also learn how to care for and store their collections.
| Audio Options
- Brothers spreading joy of 'cornhole'
(Apr 25, 2013)
- Restoring William Penn's luster
(Apr 11, 2013)
- New documentary focuses on Delaware farming
(Apr 4, 2013)
- Fan convention coming to Delaware
(Mar 29, 2013)
- Kids helping kids with stress
(Mar 14, 2013)
- A Golden Toque for Chef Paul
(Mar 8, 2013)
- New creature comforts on Cape May-Lewes Ferry
(Feb 28, 2013)
- Fighting a Mystery Illness
(Feb 21, 2013)
- Africa trek 'life-changing' for University of Delaware sophomore
(Feb 7, 2013)
- Eat your way through Delaware!
(Jan 31, 2013)