|Katie Barbor, St. E's HS student|
Katie Barbor, a rising junior at St. Elizabeth's High School got a week-long look into what a plebe's life would be like at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis.
Katie Barbor: "We did everything form physical activity to going to classes, learning character development."
This is something Barbor has dreamed about for a very long time.
Barbor: "I've always wanted to go to the Naval Academy, so I've been doing everything I can to get in and apply early.
But it wasn't easy.
Barbor: "I learned how hard it's going to be, but I really loved it, the challenging aspects of it."
Though even after that tough week Barbor says the Naval Academy is the place for her.
Barbor: "I'm a competitive person so I just love the challenging atmosphere, and I've always loved the water."
Next, she works on getting Senatorial recommendations so she can go attend the Naval Academy full-time in the fall of 2013. There, she could study anything from submarines and surface warfare to aviation.
Barbor has always wanted to live a life of service, and all Naval Academy graduates serve at leastfive5 years in the Navy or the Marines, but Barbor will take it further.
Barbor: "I want to make it a career."
| Audio Options
Deprecated: Function mysql_db_query() is deprecated in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
Deprecated: mysql_db_query(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_query() instead in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
- Sanford freshman to compete in nat'l poetry competition
(Apr 23, 2013)
- Local HS students to serenade on stage at the Queen
(Apr 16, 2013)
- Fighting fire with fire
(Apr 9, 2013)
- St. E's ballerina overcomes partial blindness to dance in internat'l competition
(Apr 2, 2013)
- Roadkill creates "CSI" experience for students
(Mar 26, 2013)
- DSU wants to win "Retool Your School" contest
(Mar 19, 2013)
- EdWatch: UD senior's project promotes healthy mothers, healthy babies
(Mar 11, 2013)
- iPad takeover underway at St. Mark's
(Feb 26, 2013)
- Duffy's Hope restores hope for troubled Wilm. youth
(Feb 19, 2013)
- Teacher evaluations: What works and what doesn't
(Feb 5, 2013)