Two teachers from the Brandywine School District are the only teachers in Delaware to earn this national honor. Mary Pinkston and Michael Kaufmann are winners of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science.
|Winner Michael Kaufmann and Mary Pinkston (L to R)|
Kaufmann, a science teacher at Concord High School, won for his interactive, technologically savvy classes.
Michael Kaufmann: "My personal interest in the use of technology as a way to reach out to children, get them more involved has led me to a system where we interact with computers, live animals, and there's a lot of interaction between students."
Mary Pinkston has been a math teacher at Brandywine High School for decades.
Mary Pinkston: "I use humor. I may sing with them, sing to them, dance around, play music, whatever it tastes. Also, I was given a SMART Board and so the visual aspect of that it's like a lightening rod, and they just sit there like, 'Ahh!'"
The duo got to travel to Washington D.C. for some face time with Vice President Joe Biden and meet the other 97 winners.
Kaufmann: "Never felt more appreciated as an educator, and one of the most valuable aspects of that whole endeavor was meeting the other winners, being able to connect with these teachers, share their experiences."
Pinkston. "It was awesome because you get a chance to understand that some of the problems, and/or solutions and/or challenges that you have every day are shared with people from throughout the nation. It was fascinating to get a chance to listen to what they had to say."
Kaufmann and Pinkston each win $10,000 each, and both may use it to get their doctorates.
To get an inside look at Kaufmann's classroom click here
| Audio Options
- Sanford freshman to compete in nat'l poetry competition
(Apr 23, 2013)
- Local HS students to serenade on stage at the Queen
(Apr 16, 2013)
- Fighting fire with fire
(Apr 9, 2013)
- St. E's ballerina overcomes partial blindness to dance in internat'l competition
(Apr 2, 2013)
- Roadkill creates "CSI" experience for students
(Mar 26, 2013)
- DSU wants to win "Retool Your School" contest
(Mar 19, 2013)
- EdWatch: UD senior's project promotes healthy mothers, healthy babies
(Mar 11, 2013)
- iPad takeover underway at St. Mark's
(Feb 26, 2013)
- Duffy's Hope restores hope for troubled Wilm. youth
(Feb 19, 2013)
- Teacher evaluations: What works and what doesn't
(Feb 5, 2013)