Still shocked and rocked by a death of one of their own last year, County police Lieutenant Joe Szczerba, Salesianum High School will host a 5K Walk/Run this weekend rain or shine to kick off their homecoming in his honor.
|Fallen NCCo Police Lieutenant Joe Szczerba|
Brendan Kennealey is the School's President.
Brendan Kennealey: "Lieutenant Szczerba was a huge part of our community, and I think a great representation of the things that we value and stand for here at Salesianum."
Szczerba was a Sallies graduate of the Class of '85. With hopes to raise up to $50,000, proceeds from the run will go towards a brand new scholarship fund.
Kennealey: "We're very much a brotherhood here, and one of ours was taken from us, it was something that I think moved our alumni, our student body, and there was very much a call to do something in his honor that would be permanent, and the thought was that a scholarship that would help more families of law enforcement have Salesianum be an option for them."
The school is expecting a large law enforcement turn-out, something they've had before, back when flags were at half-staff.
Kennealey: "Where we're kicking off this race, I think is kind of fitting that it's going to be taking place right there where we all came to the mourn on the morning when we found out that he had been killed."
To register for the race, visit Races 2 Run, or you can make a direct contribution to the Lieutenant Joseph Szczerba '85 Scholarship fund by clicking here
| Audio Options
- Sanford freshman to compete in nat'l poetry competition
(Apr 23, 2013)
- Local HS students to serenade on stage at the Queen
(Apr 16, 2013)
- Fighting fire with fire
(Apr 9, 2013)
- St. E's ballerina overcomes partial blindness to dance in internat'l competition
(Apr 2, 2013)
- Roadkill creates "CSI" experience for students
(Mar 26, 2013)
- DSU wants to win "Retool Your School" contest
(Mar 19, 2013)
- EdWatch: UD senior's project promotes healthy mothers, healthy babies
(Mar 11, 2013)
- iPad takeover underway at St. Mark's
(Feb 26, 2013)
- Duffy's Hope restores hope for troubled Wilm. youth
(Feb 19, 2013)
- Teacher evaluations: What works and what doesn't
(Feb 5, 2013)