Video player now loading; please wait...
A lucky sweepstakes player wins on behalf of a New Castle high school.
Dr. Carolyn Moore enters sweepstakes for fun as a hobby.
Dr. Carolyn Moore: "I've done it for years. I started in 1993, and I enter about 20 a week."
The 74-year-old graduate of William Penn High School says the biggest prize she ever won was $10,000 for herself, and this time, she's won it for someone else: the students of her alma mater.
Moore: "I got a lot from this school. They gave me support when I was going to school. I got a chance to participate in the band; I played sports, and I just wanted to give back."
And that's why the school's band, the women's sports program, the ROTC honors ground flight program, and the elementary activities at the Fall Homecoming Festival will each get $2,500 from Moore's big win in the Walgreens Back-to-School Sweepstakes. Because Moore says it's extracurricular like these that matter most.
"Moore: I can't tell you who my English teacher was, but I can tell you exactly when I won a game against Middletown in basketball!"
And she tells students now it's your turn.
Moore: "When you get where you're going in life, pay it forward, and lend a helping hand to the next generation as I am today."
| Audio Options
Deprecated: Function mysql_db_query() is deprecated in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
Deprecated: mysql_db_query(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_query() instead in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
- Sanford freshman to compete in nat'l poetry competition
(Apr 23, 2013)
- Local HS students to serenade on stage at the Queen
(Apr 16, 2013)
- Fighting fire with fire
(Apr 9, 2013)
- St. E's ballerina overcomes partial blindness to dance in internat'l competition
(Apr 2, 2013)
- Roadkill creates "CSI" experience for students
(Mar 26, 2013)
- DSU wants to win "Retool Your School" contest
(Mar 19, 2013)
- EdWatch: UD senior's project promotes healthy mothers, healthy babies
(Mar 11, 2013)
- iPad takeover underway at St. Mark's
(Feb 26, 2013)
- Duffy's Hope restores hope for troubled Wilm. youth
(Feb 19, 2013)
- Teacher evaluations: What works and what doesn't
(Feb 5, 2013)