Video player now loading; please wait...
iPads may eventually replace textbooks at St. Mark's High School in Milltown.
It's all part of a new interactive way of learning that requires every student in the incoming Class of 2017 to come to school with the popular tablet in their hand.
Linda Fischer, St. Mark's director of information resources says, you name it, and there's an app for that.
Linda Fischer: "They'll be able to do molecular structure in chemistry; we've got apps going into the cooking department."
Using Glogster, students will create videos and interactive posters, and
Principal Carol Ripken says they also plan to offer a class on creating your own app!
Carol Ripken: "We think it would be great to be able to use our own students' apps as part of the educational program."
She says the one-to-one iPad initiative has been a big hit so far and all the students want in.
Fischer: "Our current students are saying, 'Why not us? We want to be included!'"
Teacher Holly Bryk is already using an iPad in her classroom.
Holly Bryk: "I'm really excited to start with students having their own and have it be more interactive."
And the excuse of forgetting your homework is now gone.
Fischer: "They might forget a pencil; they might forget the textbook, but they're not going to forget their iPad."
| Audio Options
Deprecated: Function mysql_db_query() is deprecated in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
Deprecated: mysql_db_query(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_query() instead in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
- Sanford freshman to compete in nat'l poetry competition
(Apr 23, 2013)
- Local HS students to serenade on stage at the Queen
(Apr 16, 2013)
- Fighting fire with fire
(Apr 9, 2013)
- St. E's ballerina overcomes partial blindness to dance in internat'l competition
(Apr 2, 2013)
- Roadkill creates "CSI" experience for students
(Mar 26, 2013)
- DSU wants to win "Retool Your School" contest
(Mar 19, 2013)
- EdWatch: UD senior's project promotes healthy mothers, healthy babies
(Mar 11, 2013)
- iPad takeover underway at St. Mark's
(Feb 26, 2013)
- Duffy's Hope restores hope for troubled Wilm. youth
(Feb 19, 2013)
- Teacher evaluations: What works and what doesn't
(Feb 5, 2013)