Winterthur adds to its collection
Delaware's Winterthur Museum and Library has made the biggest acquisition in its history with the addition of a comprehensive collection of 250,000 printed paper goods.
The News Journal reports Winterthur acquired the John and Carolyn Grossman Collection last month.
Some pieces were housed at Winterthur since 2008 and were donated by the Tucson, Ariz.-based Grossmans.
Other pieces were bought by the museum.
The collection includes greeting cards, product labels, baseball cards, postcards, sheet music and the first commercially produced Christmas card from 1843.
Curators say it could be used to research the history of printing technology, graphic design and advertising.
Winterthur was founded as a public museum in 1851 by Henry Francis du Pont.
It's devoted to American decorative arts and the study of American art and material culture.
Copyright © Oct 25, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.