VIDEO: Gov. Printz restoration contract approved
New Castle County council approved a contract with DelDOT to restore Gov. Printz Boulevard during a Tuesday night session.
WDEL's Tom Lehman has more:
Councilman George Smiley said the contract is worth more than $1.5 million and will facilitate efforts to restore the busy thoroughfare, which currently has lane closures because of a sewer interceptor project that was canceled in April.
"Part of the roadway, a major portion of it, will be paved to point where it will be a permanent fix," Smiley said. ", though they'll be repaved, will be a more temporary to allow for future work but to provide full access to the area."
Councilman John Cartier said the approving the contract was an important step in restoring the roadway.
" has been interrupted for over three years, while we struggle with these engineering and construction difficulties," Cartier said, referencing the interceptor project, which was stalled because of its proximity to utility lines.
Cartier said the timetable for restoring Gov. Printz Boulevard remains on track with expectations that it will paved this fall. County officials had previously said paving was expected in October and DelDOT will likely have a contractor restore the road.
"The sewer contractors are going to clear the site by the end of this month and then we're going to await the repaving schedule, which DelDOT has said will happen this fall," he said.
Copyright © Apr 25, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.