Thawing frozen pipes sparks two fires in Kent County

Attempting to thaw frozen water pipes caused two mobile home fires in Kent County since Monday, state fire officials say.

The Delaware Fire Marshal says the first fire was reported at 9:15 p.m. Monday night on the 100 block of Stardust Drive, west of Dover.

Investigators say a kerosene heater was placed under the mobile home to keep pipes from freezing, but instead ignited combustibles and sparked the blaze. Damages are estimated at $7,000.

The second fire was reported at 10:50 a.m. Tuesday morning in the London Village Development in Magnolia.

Fire officials say the heavy flames started when an occupant tried thawing frozen pipes with a hand-held heating device.

$25,000 worth of damage was done to the mobile home.

No injuries were reported in either incident.

The Red Cross is assisting both households.

The State Fire Marshal's Office warns Delawareans to exercise extreme caution when attempting to thaw frozen water pipes.






Copyright © Jul 29, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.