Grill brushes can present safety hazard

Planning to fire up the grill to cook some tasty barbecue for Memorial Day? Be careful with how you clean it.

WDEL's Tom Lehman reports.



Jacqueline Beeson of Wilmington was admitted to A.I. duPont Hospital for Children last fall after suffering mysterious abdominal pains. At first she thought it was a swallowed fish bone, but doctors discovered it was actually a steel bristle from a grill brush.

Beeson underwent surgery and was in the hospital for weeks.

"It's something don't wish upon anyone. It's something that's really painful and uncomfortable," she told NBC 10.



If you're using a grill brush, be sure to replace it if its old or has loose bristles. You can also use a sponge with cleansing pads or a steam cleaning system as an alternative.

"We use hard sponges to clean this grill, rather than brushes," Beeson said.









Copyright © Oct 01, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.