I-495 Closure Update




UD grad student accused of hiding cameras in campus bathrooms
By Amy Cherry

Updated Friday, July 25, 2014 - 4:59pm

Javier Mediola-Soto is accused of planting hidden cameras in bathrooms at the University of Delaware. (Photo courtesy of UD.)
A University of Delaware graduate student is arrested after the school says he hid cameras in campus bathrooms.

WDEL's Amy Cherry reports.

Click here to listen



The cameras were small, no larger than a pack of cigarettes, hidden in women's bathrooms in the hygiene dispenser for a period of two years.

"The UD community feels violated in addition to the women victims of this crime," said Skip Homiak, executive director of campus and public safety.

Click here to listen



38-year-old Javier Mendiola-Soto of Mexico, a grad student in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources has been arrested. He faces nearly two dozen felony counts of privacy invasion. If he posts bail, he's required to stay behind bars under a federal immigration detainer.

Homiak tells WDEL since they discovered the first camera, they've swept every bathroom on-campus.

"We feel very confident that we have all the files; we feel very confident that we have the cameras involved," he said.

Click here to listen



Homiak is confident just two cameras were involved in the two-year operation. Mendiola-Soto would apparently retrieve the cameras, download the files, and then place the cameras back into bathrooms on-campus. In addition to the Biotechnology Institute, cameras were placed in bathrooms at the Morris Library, Memorial Hall, the ISE Lab and Willard Hall.

UD is hiring an outside security expert to determine whether there's anything the school could do differently and how other institutions across the U.S. have handled these types of incidents.

"We're in an age of technology where these kinds of devices are very common, they're very small, they're very inexpensive, and they can be secreted and hidden," said Homiak.

Click here to listen



Homiak assures the victims...

"Even though the video files were downloaded to his various computers, we know that he has not uploaded those files. They were not posted on the Internet; they were not shared with anybody else," he said.

Click here to listen







Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Markell: Feds send 117 immigrant children to Del.
By Tom Lehman

Updated Friday, July 25, 2014 - 9:52pm

Gov. Markell (WDEL/file)
Governor Jack Markell says 117 children who immigrated alone to the United States have been placed with families in Delaware.

WDEL's Tom Lehman reports...

Click here to listen



Markell tells WDEL his administration wants to work with non-profits to ensure that the children's basic needs are met, but noted officials weren't immediately aware that the kids were even in Delaware. He first announced the development in a letter to state lawmakers on Thursday.

"I don't know when they got here, we don't know where they are, we don't know who they are. That's information that the federal government is not sharing with the states," Markell said.

Click here to listen



The governor also said he's looking to receive federal assistance because of the added expenses that will be incurred by the state, school districts and charities.

"I am also focused on getting the federal government to reimburse the state because of some of those expenses. This a real concern of mine," he said.

Click here to listen



Markell previously said Delaware had no public facilities to accommodate children who migrated alone across the southern U.S. border.

However, he says the state is being called upon to help "the least of our brothers and sisters."

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.



Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Markell promotes Fort Delaware; GOP calls for farmland funding
By Carl Kanefsky

You Tube screenshot
Governor Markell used his weekly address to promote what he calls this year's theme of unleashing Delaware’s potential to create economic opportunity and enhance the quality of life for our people.

Earlier in the week, the Governor signed legislation authorizing the creation of the Fort DuPont Redevelopment Corporation, which will spearhead redevelopment of Fort DuPont, and bring the area back to life.

"We can expand recreational opportunities, restore wildlife habitat, preserve historic buildings, remove blight and create opportunities to increase tourism and entrepreneurship that will spur economic development."

Click here to listen



Markell hopes the new Fort DuPont Redevelopment Corporation, which will boost redevelopment, much the same way that the Riverfront Development Corporation did for Wilmington, and calls the property beautiful and historic.

"It housed a thriving military community and played a role in both World Wars. The land's history and natural beauty make it one of our state's greatest treasures. Yet it has fallen into disrepair, defined by old, vacant, crumbling buildings and flooding challenges.

Click here to listen



See the Governor's weekly address here:



Republicans used their weekly address to reflect on the state's Farmland Preservation Program.

State Representative Jeff Spiegelman, says more than 115,000 acres on nearly 800 farms has been preserved so far, but budget cuts threaten the program's future.

"In his last three recommended capital budgets, Governor Jack Markell designated just $2 million annually for farmland preservation. In Fiscal Year 2012, he recommended no funding at all."

Click here to listen



Spiegelman says by law, the Farmland Preservation Fund is supposed to receive $10 million annually from the state's Realty Transfer Tax revenue, but that law is being cynically ignored.

Click here to listen



"Gov. Markell needs to follow state law and provide Delaware's Farmland Preservation Program with a predictable source of funding to protect agriculture, the 8-billion dollars in economic activity it generates, and the 30-thousand Delaware jobs it provides."

See the GOP weekly address here:











Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Newark National one win away from 4th straight DE title
By Sean Greene

Updated Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 1:11am

Video player now loading; please wait...
VIDEO: Highlights and reaction to Newark's victory

Brett Callahan smacked a two-run homer and A.J. Blanchard allowed two hits in five scoreless innings as Newark National defeated host Woodbridge 9-0 to earn a spot in Sunday's Delaware Little League championship game.

Catcher Wyatt Minner would give Blanchard all the run support he would need with a 2-out, 2-run single in the 1st inning.

Woodbridge picked up a pair of singles in the bottom of the frame, but those turned out to be the only hits Blanchard would allow in his 5 innings of work. Blanchard, who homered Thursday night in the tournament opener, struck out 9 while walking just two.

The game remained 2-0 into the 5th thanks in part to some fine pitching from Woodbridge's Kolby Rust, but it would be another 2-out hit, this time a drive off the bat of Callahan which narrowly cleared the 6-foot tall wall in left field that doubled the lead to 4-0.

Five runs would score in the 6th inning as Newark National moved one win away from its 4th straight trip to the Mid Atlantic Regional in Bristol, Conn. Woodbridge will face M.O.T. Saturday at 7pm in the Loser's Bracket championship. The winner will have to defeat Newark National twice, beginning with Sunday's 7pm game to earn the state title.



Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Teen gets 30 years in prison for elderly carjacking downstate
By Mark Fowser

The first teenager to go on trial in connection with last year's carjacking of an elderly woman in Milford is going to prison for 30 years.

Rondaiges Harper was sentenced Friday in Georgetown, several weeks after being convicted of his role in the kidnapping and carjacking of Margaret Smith.

Harper's defense attorney John Brady spoke to our sister station Delaware 105.9.

"Is he guilty of bad judgment? Because he wasn't there when she was carjacked, wasn't there when she was kidnapped, he came on the scene after it was going on, and I argued that releasing her in a cemetery near dawn was better than what had been proposed by other participants, which was lighting the car on fire and letting her die," Harper's attorney John Brady told our sister station Delaware 105.9.

Click here to listen



Brady says he will appeal the sentence handed down to Harper.

Two teenage girls who prosecutors say abducted Smith after she offered to give them a ride also face trial while one other teenager has copped a plea deal.




Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Woman killed crossing U.S. 13 near New Castle
By Tom Lehman

A 67-year-old woman was killed Friday afternoon when she was hit by a minivan near New Castle, state police said.

The crash happened about 12:35 Friday in the northbound lanes of South DuPont Highway (U.S. 13), just north of the split with U.S. 40, said Sgt. Paul Shavack.

Joanne Johnson of New Castle tried to cross the roadway outside of a crosswalk but was hit by a 2003 Honda Odyssey operated by Kasim Onal, who also resides in New Castle, Shavack said.

Paramedics pronounced Johnson dead at the scene, he said. Onal and two children, who were properly restrained inside the minivan, were not hurt.

The two left lanes of the northbound U.S. 13 were closed for about 2 hours while police investigated.

No charges have been filed, Shavack said.




Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Del. man allegedly cross-dressed to rob Md. bank
By Associated Press

Maryland State Police say a Delaware man held up a bank in Rising Sun while dressed as a woman.

Police charged 34-year-old Kent Buckson of Bear on Thursday with armed robbery of a National Penn Bank branch involving a theft of less than $10,000.

Buckson was in custody Friday and couldn't' be reached for comment.

Tellers told investigators the robber entered the bank Wednesday afternoon wearing a dress, a turtle-neck sweater and a wig. The suspect presented a note demanding cash and threatening to shoot the bank employees but didn't display a gun.

Police say Buckson is suspected in four other bank robberies in Delaware and Pennsylvania committed by a culprit in women's clothing. They say he also is suspected in heists at eight convenience stores in the three states.



Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Brother and sister charged in burglary, theft
By Frank Gerace

A brother and sister have been charged with breaking into a home and stealing some of the contents.

County Police say detectives found evidence linking Sydney and Sheila Messick to a burglary and theft on Lindale Road in Windermere back on June 27th.

Officers arrested the pair this past Wednesday, and found some of the property the siblings allegedly stole in their home--Sydney Messick is also charged with selling some of it.

Sydney's being held at the Howard Young Prison.

His sister is out on bail.



Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Wilm. druglord sentenced in 30th Street Crew takedown
By Amy Cherry

Updated Friday, July 25, 2014 - 12:40pm

A Wilmington gang leader is sentenced to more than six years in federal prison.

Qiydaar Miller, head of the "30th Street Crew" was nabbed in 2013 following a five-month, federal wire-tap investigation.

Miller's arrest brought down the gang that dealt drugs on Wilmington's northside and used a home on 3000 North Madison as their headquarters.

Miller admitted to distributing at least 700 grams of heroin while also selling crack cocaine.

Fourteen others were also federally indicted for drug trafficking charges in connection with the notorious drug ring.



Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Man robbed while waiting for DART bus
By Amy Cherry

A man is robbed while waiting for the bus.

It happened on 500 block of North DuPont Highway in Wilmington Manor.

Police say the 32-year-old man was waiting for the DART bus when two men, one with a gun demanded his property. The victim turned over his backpack, and the robbers fled.

No one was hurt.







Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Newark man charged in pair of bank robberies
By Peter MacArthur

Updated Friday, July 25, 2014 - 12:38pm

A man wanted in connection with two bank robberies is under arrest.

34-year-old Kent Buckson is charged with robbing the WSFS branch at 201 Fox Hunt Drive in Bear in June.

Police say he implied he had a weapon, got cash and took off on foot.

On July 10th, Buckson is accused of walking into the PNC on Limestone Road in Wilmington, handing a teller a note demanding money and took off after getting cash.

Troopers were able to identify Buckson in a follow-up investigation.

He was taken into custody from a Newark motel Thursday.



Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




UPDATE: Dover teens arrested in attempted murder
By Amy Cherry

Two men wanted on attempted murder charges have turned themselves into Dover Police.

Police say 19-year-old Shaquille Bolden and 18-year-old Kinon Test showed up at Troop 3 Thursday night.

The teens were wanted for stabbing a man in a large fight on the first block of South New Street in broad daylight Wednesday. Police say at least 20 people were involved in the fight.

The victim, a 20-year-old man, is in critical, but stable condition.

Bolden and Test are now being held on $1 million bail.




Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




US plans wide seismic testing of sea floor
By Wayne Parry, Associated Press

\
The federal government is planning to use sound blasting to conduct research on the ocean floor along most of the East Coast, using technology similar to that which spawned a court battle between environmentalists and researchers in New Jersey this summer.

The U.S. Geological Survey plans this summer and next to map the outer limits of the Continental Shelf, and also study underwater landslides that would help predict where and when tsunamis might occur.

But environmentalists say it could cause the same type of damage to marine life they fought unsuccessfully to prevent this month off the coast of New Jersey.

Clean Ocean Action says the new plan would blast the ocean at floor up to 265 decibels every 20 seconds for 17 days.




Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Remains of soldier return to Del. after 62 years
By Tom Lehman

Updated Friday, July 25, 2014 - 4:59pm

Video player now loading; please wait...
VIDEO: WDEL's Tom Lehman reports. (Footage courtesy of NBC 10. Photos courtesy of Alaska Dispatch News and Brian Gorman)

The remains of a soldier from Delaware who died after a plane crash in Alaska 62 years ago returned home with full military honors on Thursday.

WDEL's Tom Lehman reports.

Click here to listen



Col. Eugene Smith, who once helped track down millions of dollars worth of stolen jewels after World War II, was killed along with 51 others when their plane crashed in Alaska more than six decades ago.

The plane crashed on a glacier and remained undiscovered until June 2012. It had shifted 14 miles from the original crash site.

The Air Force identified a bone fragment as belonging to Smith in May. The remains arrived in Wilmington under full honors on Thursday.

"When I saw that casket come off that plane, I just fell apart. I thought 'after all this time, he's coming home," Sue Beckman, Smith's niece, told NBC 10.

Click here to listen



Smith's last-remaining brother died a couple of years ago, meaning none of his immediate family was still alive to see his remains return.

Beckman was six years old when her "Uncle Gene" died.

"It's not the way we wanted him home, but he's home and we can put him to rest," she said.

Click here to listen



Brian Gorman, Smith's nephew, said he never met his uncle but heard in stories from family members that he was known for investigating crimes and solving mysteries.

The colonel was the lead investigator on the Hesse jewel heist in 1946, which led to the court martialing of three U.S. officers responsible for the $2.5 million theft.

"He's an uncle I never met, but we never missed him," Gorman said. "His stories at every family dinner, his tales of what he accomplished were always present in our life," he said.

Click here to listen





Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




Cape beats Newark National, will play Sunday night
By Brandon Bossert

Video player now loading; please wait...
VIDEO: Cape wins big, will play for title

Cape Henlopen, picked up a second straight victory in the Delaware Junior League Tournament with a 13-4 win over Newark National 13-4 Friday night.

Newark National broke the ice in the second with an RBI single by Dan Miller with the bases loaded. Miller finished 2 for 3 with one RBI and a walk.

Cape came back in the bottom of the third, scoring three runs while batting around.

The big inning would come in the 5th. Starting with a 3-3 tie, Cape sent thirteen batters to the plate, scoring eight runs and taking a commanding 12-3 lead. Ben Ashby delivered the biggest hit of the inning, hitting a triple, plating two runs to give Cape the lead.

Newark National would score one more in the sixth on a Drew Emory single.

Cape Henlopen will play Sunday night for the state championship at 6 pm against the winner of the Dover-Newark National game Saturday night at 7 pm, both games will be at Newark National. If the Dover-Newark winner defeats Cape on Sunday, they would play a second championship game on Monday.



Copyright © Jul 26, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.






WDEL News Tools:
Printer friendly version
Back to homepage



 Latest News

 Follow Us

Facebook Twitter
RSS Mobile
Email Updates




Copyright © 2014, Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use.
WDEL Statement of Equal Employment Opportunity and Outreach