Friday, May 4, 2012 - 5:00pm
Judge sets trial in dispute over Occupy Delaware
Updated Friday, May 4, 2012 - 8:49pm
A Chancery Court judge says a dispute between Occupy Delaware and the city of Wilmington will go to trial.
The judge on Friday scheduled an Aug. 20 trial regarding the city's determination that Occupy protesters must leave a downtown plaza.
The American Civil Liberties Union filed a complaint on behalf of Occupy Delaware earlier this week, shortly before the city's deadline for the protesters to vacate the plaza. The judge granted the ACLU's request to reopen a lawsuit it filed last November but which was put on hold after the city agreed to allow the protesters to occupy the plaza indefinitely.
But city officials said recently that the protesters must leave the plaza because of problems including destruction of public property, safety and sanitation violations, drug activity and public intoxication.
The city Friday asked for an expedited trial in the matter, the court agreed, and the city plans to file claims to eject the group next week, but won't remove Occupy members without court approval.
Copyright © May 20, 2013, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.