Monday, August 13, 2012 - 12:18pm
UD researchers find century-old shipwreck off Delaware coast
University of Delaware researchers are hoping to get more money to study the wreck of a ship that went down off the Delaware coast more than a century ago.
The W.R. Grace went down off the coast of Cape Henlopen in a hurricane September 12, 1889, but was never included in a database of known wrecks.
Art Trembanis, associate professor of oceanography, says grad students came upon it in 2010 while learning to use ocean equipment.
"So we mapped it up, and lo and behold, there was no mark there for where this very visible and very large wreck was located," he said.
Click here to listen
They're pretty sure it's the Grace.
"The size, the orientation, the location, the historical context of it, kind of all point to that," Trembanis said.
Click here to listen
Trembanis is now hoping to do more detailed studies with video, and plans to contact the W.R. Grace Company to see whether they may have interest in funding the effort.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20