Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 11:34am
Sandy: Hurricane or Storm? The answer could affect your insurance
Updated Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 2:05pm
If you suffered losses in Hurricane Sandy, there may be a lot riding on how weather experts view that superstorm in terms of your insurance.
Frank Varone with Varone Insurance in Wilmington says depending on whether Sandy is categorized as a storm or a hurricane may cost you more to have your damages repaired.
"Whatever the National Weather Service in Delaware determines, that it's either a hurricane or a storm will make that determination. If it's deemed a hurricane, a hurricane deductible will apply, which could be pretty heavy, it could be two percent of the value of the property. On the other hand, if it's a normal deductible
Click here to listen
then the $250, $500 or thousand dollar deductible will apply."
Click here to listen
Varone says it does appear that changes in climate are bringing more extreme weather patterns and as losses mount from events like this, it may be a factor that raises your premiums in the future.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20