Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 1:13am
Sussex Senator proposes school "panic exits"
Updated Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 1:14am
A week after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Connecticut, a state Senator from Sussex County is proposing "panic exits" be installed in Delaware's schools.
|State Senator Dave Lawson (R-Marydel)|
Marydel Republican Dave Lawson wants to expedite research into the feasibility of building escape doors in ground-floor classrooms, to be used in case of emergencies.
The former state trooper plans to introduce a resolution he hopes will lead to legislation to fund construction of doors that could only be opened from the inside.
Lawson says students and teachers could use the doors to quickly leave a classroom in case of attacks, fires, bomb threats or other emergencies.
He says having a way for children to leave during an attack like the one in Connecticut is safer than locking a school down, which puts the students at the attacker's mercy.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- WPD investigates Friday night shooting
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Wilmington man arrested on cocaine possession charges
- Troopers seek suspects who took teen's sneakers
- County Police seek naked jogger
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20