The fire started around 12:30 Friday afternoon in the 1 thousand block of Providence Avenue in Brandywine Estates.
Claymont firefighters saw smoke and flames pouring from the 2-story house when they arrived, and they were able to rescue the man from the house, but he was suffering from smoke inhalation.
The man was taken to Crozer-Chester Hospital in Pennsylvania.
Damage to the house is estimated at more than 100 thousand dollars.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.