Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:25pm
VP Biden pushes for gun control background checks
Updated Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 10:41am
Vice President Joe Biden took the White House's campaign for gun control on the road to Virginia.
|Vice President Joe Biden gestures during a round table discussion on gun violence at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Va., Friday, Jan. 25, 2013. The panelists included officials who worked on the aftermath of the Virginia Tech shootings. (AP|
He held a roundtable discussion in Richmond, where he highlighted the 2007 Virginia tech shooting, by illustrating the importance of background checks for gun purchasers.
"We talked about the need to expand mental health capacity across the country; we talked about access, and we talked about resources," says Biden.
Click here to listen
Biden says they also talked about increasing the number of police.
"We talked about there is some value to having additional law enforcement officers available in the cities and states, and that's why the President has proposed to add another 15,000 folks through the COPS program," Biden says.
Click here to listen
President Obama wants Congress to require background checks for all gun sales and ban both military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.
Governor Markell and the Vice President's son, Attorney General Beau Biden have also introduced a package of similar gun control measures though they don't stretch as far as the federal plan.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report).
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20