Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:58pm
Low income families urged to apply for EITC
20 percent of eligible Delawareans miss out on a vital tax credit each year.
Congressman Carney says it's called the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) that could save them thousands.
"About 70,000 Delaware taxpayers took advantage of it last year for an average refund of about $2,000, so it's real money, it's money that assists and tends of millions of dollars go back into the local economy," explains Carney.
Click here to listen
Carney explains why some may miss out on the credit.
"It's a tax credit that's not very well understand because filing your taxes generally is not well understood, and the EITC campaign actually involves encouraging and making available free tax preparation services for Delawareans, that's part of it, as well as financial literacy courses," says Carney.
Click here to listen
But you can earn up to nearly $6,000. Families with three or more children, who earn less than $45,000 a year are eligible for the credit on the federal taxes.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20