Wednesday, March 6, 2013 - 2:46pm
Sportsmen: Meeting with state on gun control unproductive
Updated Wednesday, March 6, 2013 - 2:55pm
The Delaware State Sportsmen's Association says while it met with members of the Governor's and Attorney General's staffs recently, there was no real dialogue on where gun control legislation in Delaware should be focused.
"It appeared as if we were being asked to more or less bless (Gov. Markell's package of gun control measures) rather than give any real input or an opportunity to make substantive suggestions. That was a disappointment," says association spokesman Tom Shellenberger.
Click here to listen
Shellenberger says the state needs legislation that doesn't target law abiding citizens but holds tougher penalties for criminals who break gun laws and aren't overly concerned about the punishments in place currently.
"Gun control is one of the odd things that the less it works, the more they demand more of it rather than taking a look at the problem of having more laws that only law abiding people are going to follow and criminals aren't. That's what you have to do is come up with sanctions that mean something to the people who are violating the laws that we have," Shellenberger tells WDEL.
Click here to listen
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- WPD investigates Friday night shooting
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Wilmington man arrested on cocaine possession charges
- Troopers seek suspects who took teen's sneakers
- County Police seek naked jogger
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20