Federal court in Del. affected by sequester
By The Associated Press

Most criminal proceedings in Delaware's U.S. District Court will be canceled on Fridays starting in May because of federal spending cuts.

The News Journal reports that because of across-the-board spending cuts that took effect earlier this month, the U.S. District Court will hear only critical criminal cases on Fridays.

Chief U.S. District Judge Gregory Sleet says he hopes the change, scheduled to take effect in May and run through September 20, will make it easier for government agencies affected by the cuts to schedule mandatory furlough days for their employees.

Delaware Federal Defender Edson Bostic says the near-shutdown of criminal court might slow down the criminal justice system, but clients will still be represented.

The change is not expected to have an impact on civil proceedings.




Copyright © Sep 18, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.




WDEL News Tools:
Printer friendly version
Back to homepage



 Latest News

 Follow Us

Facebook Twitter
RSS Mobile
Email Updates




Copyright © 2014, Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use.
WDEL Statement of Equal Employment Opportunity and Outreach