Friday, April 5, 2013 - 9:00am
The Grand theater cuts staff, faces budget crisis
The Grand Opera House in Wilmington has laid off a quarter of its staff and is undergoing a major restructuring due to a financial downturn.
|The Grand Opera House (WDEL/File Photo)|
Executive Director Steve Bailey tells The News Journal the nearly 150-year-old opera house faced a "substantial" deficit. He declined to say how much of a shortfall The Grand was facing. He says changes to salaries and benefits should save $600,000.
Bailey says The Grand has been facing a prolonged downturn. Corporate donations were down by $100,000. The Delaware Symphony Orchestra has been performing many concerts elsewhere, costing the theater $200,000.
The Grand may cut subsidies to resident arts groups including the orchestra, OperaDelaware, First State Ballet.
Ticket sales have grown in recent years but only represent about half of The Grand's $3.8 million budget.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- WPD investigates Friday night shooting
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Wilmington man arrested on cocaine possession charges
- Troopers seek suspects who took teen's sneakers
- County Police seek naked jogger
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20