Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 3:34pm
Del. OKs rent justification for manufactured homes
Updated Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 9:57am
The state Senate has given final approval to a bill restricting the ability of manufactured home park owners to raise lot rents.
The Senate approved the bill Tuesday 18 to 2 after rejecting an amendment exempting out-of-state residents with vacation homes in Delaware from its protections.
"I'm just real happy with this bill passing today especially for the tens of thousands of Delawareans who live in manufactured home communities and have been worried for along time about rent increases they may not be able to afford."
Click here to listen
That's State Senator Brian Bushweller.
The bill requires park owners to obtain state approval for rent increases that exceed the average annual increase in the Consumer Price Index for urban consumers in the Philadelphia-Wilmington area for the preceding three years.
If a park owner can't demonstrate that the rent increase is justified and directly related to operating, maintaining or improving the manufactured home community, the Delaware Manufactured Authority would deny the request. If the authority believes the costs have exceeded the C-P-I, it would determine an appropriate increase.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20