Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - 8:48pm
Newark National tosses no-hitter to advance to Regional Semifinals
Updated Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - 10:06pm
Nate Hardcastle combined with Brett Callahan on a no-hitter, and Brandon Sengphachanh clocked a grand slam as Newark National advanced to the Little League Mid-Atlantic Regional Semifinals with an 11-0 victory over New Jersey Tuesday night.
Hardcastle made life tough on the hitters from the get-go, striking out 4 East Greenwich batters in the opening frame, a feat made possible by a dropped third strike during one of the strikeouts which allowed the batter to reach. Nate would strike out 12 batters against just two walks on the night. He had to be pulled with two outs in the 5th inning due to reaching the 85-pitch maximum, but Callahan forced his batter to fly out to preserve the no-hitter.
Meanwhile, Newark's offense continued to roll in Bristol, taking advantage of an error to take a 1-0 first inning lead.
Sengphachanh then broke the game open in the second inning, hitting his grand slam one batter after Jared Owens drew a bases loaded walk after Newark picked up a pair of walks and a single to get the bases loaded.
Owens would then add a sacrifice fly in the following frame, scoring Sengphachanh to bring the score to 7-0.
Newark put the game into run-rule territory in the 5th with a one-out rally that started with Jack Hardcastle's first home run in Bristol making it 8-0, and then three batters later Joey Davis, who hit four home runs in the state tournament, delivered a 3-run shot to end the scoring.
Newark National advances to play in the regional semifinals for the third straight year, which will be televised on ESPN, at either 11am or 3pm Friday depending on the outcome of Pennsylvania's game with New Jersey Wednesday night.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20