Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 8:04pm
2015 Super Bowl could keep AZ from passing anti-gay measure
Updated Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 9:01pm
Just one day after Governor Markell said on MSNBC that the NFL should consider taking the Super Bowl 2015 elsewhere if Arizona Republican Governor Jan Brewer doesn't veto an anti-gay bill that promotes sexual discrimination--now the nation is left wondering will she or won't she?
|AZ Governor Jan Brewer (Photo courtesy of Arizona Governor's Office.)|
"It seems to me that if they pass this law, and if she signs it, it would seem to me that the NFL may be looking or maybe should be looking to move the Super Bowl out of that state because there are so many places in the country that are welcoming to everybody," said Markell on MSNBC's Ronan Farrow Daily.
Click here to listen
Will Governor Markell's remarks have a boomerang effect on Brewer's choice? That's the question WDEL's Allan Loudell posed to Mary Jo Pitzl, state government reporter with the Arizona Republic.
"The common thinking, the conventional thinking over here is that so many people are calling for a veto that it gives the governor the political cover that she would need if she were to veto the bill," said Pitzl.
Click here to listen
If Arizona lost the Super Bowl, it wouldn't be the first time. More than a decade ago, the state lost the big game after voters refused to recognize Martin Luther King Day as a state holiday.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- WPD investigates Friday night shooting
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Wilmington man arrested on cocaine possession charges
- Troopers seek suspects who took teen's sneakers
- County Police seek naked jogger
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20