Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 5:06pm
Man shot in Wilmington
Updated Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 11:35pm
A 25-year-old city man was shot in the leg at a street corner in Wilmington's Hilltop community on Monday, police said.
The shooting happened a little before 9:20 p.m. Monday in the area of W. 2nd and N. Van Buren streets, said Cpl. Mark Ivey.
Officers patrolling the area on foot heard gunfire and found a man with a gunshot wound to his leg at the Lucky Stop Market, Ivey said.
The initial investigation showed the man was standing on the corner of West Second and N. Van Buren streets when another man approached and shot him, he said.
The victim was taken to an area hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.
The suspect is described as black, 18 to 30 years old, 5 feet 8 inches to 6 feet tall. He was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark pants at the time of the shooting.
It's the second time in two days that someone has been shot in Wilmington. A 21-year-old woman was shot in the area of West 25th and Washington streets early Sunday morning, police said.
This year, 23 people have been shot in Wilmington. Six of them were killed in those shootings.
Anyone with information can call Detective McKenzie Kirlin at (302) 576-3653, the Wilmington Police Criminal Investigations Division at (302) 576-3620 or the Confidential Tip Line at (302) 576-3990.
Tips can also be submitted to Delaware CrimeStoppers at 1 (800) TIP-3333 or online at www.tipsubmit.com.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20