Edgemoor Gardens shooting victims turn up at hospital

By Andrew Sgroi 10:27am, May 2, 2016 - Updated 10:36am, May 2, 2016
Rysing Drive was taped off at North and South Pennewell Drives during the investigation (Courtesy: Unnamed Edgemoor Gardens resident)
Two people were struck by gunfire in a pre-dawn shooting in Edgemoor Gardens, New Castle County Police informed Monday.

Authorities learned of the shooting around 4:45 a.m. on May 2, 2016, after multiple residents in the neighborhood made reports of shots being heard.

Arriving officers located evidence of a shooting scene in the area of Rysing and Pennewell Drives, according to police, and later learned that two victims--believed to be in their late 20s--were taken to Wilmington Hospital in personal vehicles with non-life threatening injuries. One of those targets was then shuttled to Christiana Hospital for further treatment. Both victims were listed in stable condition.

The area in which the shooting took place, according to New Castle County Police

Click to interact

Anyone with information for this incident was asked to call the New Castle County Police Department at 302.573.2800 or can visit our website at www.nccpd.com. Tipsters may also call Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1.800.TIP.3333.


Delaware students learn about distracted driving

By Tom Lehman 7:03pm, May 2, 2016
WDEL's Tom Lehman reports. (Video courtesy NBC 10)
High school students in Delaware got an opportunity on Monday to experience the dangers of texting and driving without the actual peril of being in a crash.

Click here to listen



As part of the "It Can Wait" campaign against distracted driving, AT&T brought a virtual reality driving simulator to Alexis I. Dupont High School in Greenville. The device challenges students to drive in the simulator while using a cellphone and displays fictional consequences that could follow a traffic accident caused by inattention to the road.

"It shows when you're looking at your phone that there's a lot happening around you and you're not the only one on the road who's moving," said Kaden Kinard, a student at A.I. duPont.

David Dorsey, a representative from the marketing firm hired by AT&T for the event, said the simulator provided a sobering experience for some students were shocked by the simulator.

"Oftentimes kids wouldn't speak at all because once they see it...in that moment it's so impactful that they realize what they've been doing for the last year, two years, or three years is wrong," he said.

Delaware lawmakers are looking into doubling the fines you can get for texting and driving with point penalties applied to licenses. The simulator will be featured in Legislative Hall on Tuesday.

-----------------

You can contact Tom Lehman at tlehman@wdel.com. Follow him on Twitter or Facebook.




Level 3 probationer charged after Dover police say he was found with drugs, infant in Wawa parking lot

By DJ McAneny 2:16pm, May 2, 2016
Donta Durham/Courtesy Dover Police
A Level 3 probationer was charged after authorities on Monday said he was found in a car in a convenience store parking lot with drugs--and an infant.

According to Dover Police, Donta Durham, 27, of the 1500 block of North Little Creek Road, was stopped in a Wawa parking lot Friday, April 29, at 11:36 p.m. while seated in the driver seat of a green Buick. A woman and her 7-month-old child were also in the car, police said.

A search of the vehicle turned up 9.3 grams of crack cocaine and 110 bags of heroin totaling 1.65 grams, according to authorities.

Durham was charged with possession with intent to deliver cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession with intent to deliver heroin, possession of heroin-Tier I quantity, possession of crack cocaine-Tier I quantity, endangering the welfare of a child, and violation of probation. He was committed to the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in lieu of $15,750 secured bond.


Mask-wearing suspect trying to enter Dominos in Bear foiled by locked door, observant employee

By DJ McAneny 2:30pm, May 2, 2016
A man tried to rob a Bear pizza chain which had already been locked up for the night by throwing a rock through the glass front door--but employees inside just fled out the rear of the establishment.

According to Delaware State Police, the suspect, already donning a mask, attempted to enter the Dominos at 797 Pulaski Highway on Sunday, May 1, 2016, at 1:09 a.m., but found the door locked.

An employee noticed the man and activated the store's security alarm, but that didn't stop the suspect from picking up a rock and throwing it through the front door. The employee fled out the rear of the store while the suspect gained entry through the front, but the suspect fled the scene before obtaining any property, authorities said.

The suspect was described as a male of unknown race, standing 5'4" and wearing a light blue hoodie, white shirt, black pants, and black-and-white sneakers.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to contact Delaware State Police at 302.365.8566 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1.800.TIP.3333.


Dover man charged with carrying .38 revolver, marijuana

By DJ McAneny 12:54pm, May 2, 2016
Allen Durham/Courtesy Dover Police
A firearms investigation led Dover Police to charge a city man with weapons and drug offences over the weekend, authorities announced Monday.

According to city police, Allen Durham, 25, of the 400 Block of Court Street, was stopped while walking in the area of North DuPont Highway and Lake View Drive, and found to be in possession of a .38 Special revolver and 4.4 grams of marijuana.

Durham was charged with two counts possession of a firearm by a person prohibited, possession of ammunition by person prohibited, carrying a concealed deadly weapon, possession of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released after posting a $3,150 secured bond.


Delaware homeless housing services awarded close to $2M in federal funding

By DJ McAneny 3:31pm, May 2, 2016 - Updated 3:38pm, May 2, 2016
Five local homeless housing and service programs across Delaware were awarded a combined $1.9 million in federal funding, officials announced Monday.

According to U.S. Department of housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro the following programs won the following awards:
  • Connections Community Support Programs, Inc./New Hope in Wilmington--$768,116
  • Permanent Housing for Adults with Psychiatric Disabilities--$182,446
  • The Ministry of Caring, Inc./House of Joseph II--$399,430
  • The Ministry of Caring, Inc./House of Joseph Transitional Residence--$302,478
  • YWCA Delaware Inc./Home-Life Management Center II--$330,235


  • The awards totaled $1,982,705. States who received less included:
  • North Dakota--$1,923,067
  • Vermont--$1,904,447
  • Montana--$1,767,211
  • Guam--$1,056,791
  • Wyoming--$187,953
  • Virgin Islands--$39,177


  • The states award the most were:
  • Ohio--$78,088,441
  • Pennsylvania--$82,665,023
  • Illinois--$88,653,252
  • New York--$166,642,297
  • California--$274,934,740


  • "This additional funding will support new efforts to provide permanent supportive housing and rapid re-housing solutions for those experiencing homelessness in Delaware while also helping to sustain existing local programs," said HUD’s Regional Administrator of the Mid-Atlantic region Jane C.W. Vincent.


    Townsend barn fire that killed chickens, rabbits under investigation by Delaware Fire Marshal

    By DJ McAneny 3:50pm, May 2, 2016
    A barn fire in Townsend is under investigation by the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office, authorities announced Monday.

    According to officials, the fire at a two-story wood-frame barn in the 1600 block of Harvey Straughn Road just before 10 a.m. on May 2, 2016, killed several chickens and rabbits.

    Sustained damage was estimated to be approximately $20,000. No persons were injured.

    The fire marshal said deputies were on the scene investigating the origin and cause.


    Bullet hole found in bedroom of girl, 3, following shots fired during fight in Woodside East

    By DJ McAneny 2:43pm, May 2, 2016
    Police said a gun was fired off at a loud party taking place in the area of Woodside East early Sunday morning.

    According to Delaware State Police, several shots were fired during a party in The Village of Chestnut Ridge, along the 400 block of West Chestnut Ridge Drive at approximately 12 a.m. on Sunday, May 1, 2016.

    Multiple calls were received about a loud party, which devolved into a fight as a large crowd gathered upon police arrival. Officers said as they approached the fight, several shots rang out.

    Felton and Dover police departments sent units to assist with the incident. No injuries or victims were initially reported and no arrests were made.

    Authorities said a resident in the unit block of Cider Run reported hearing the commotion the prior evening and taking their children into the basement for their own safety. The following morning, police said the resident found a bullet hole in the bedroom of a 3-year-old girl. No physical injuries were suffered in this incident.

    Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to contact Delaware State Police at 302.698.8434 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1.800.TIP.3333.


    Dover Police say probationer was carrying heroin, had more heroin and gun at home

    By DJ McAneny 12:20pm, May 2, 2016
    Taylor Heesh/Courtesy Dover Police
    A Dover man was found to be in possession of heroin, drug paraphernalia and a loaded handgun during a Probation and Parole check, city authorities announced Monday.

    According to Dover Police, Taylor Heesh, 24, of the 200 block of Acorn Lane, was in possession of .6 grams of heroin on his person, and had 1.365 more grams at home, along with a loaded .22 caliber handgun and various drug paraphernalia.

    Heesh was charged with two counts possession with intent to deliver heroin, two counts possession of a firearm by a person prohibited, two counts drug paraphernalia, possession of heroin-Tier 1 quantity, and possession of ammunition by a person prohibited. He was committed to the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in lieu of $15,000 secured bond.


    Letter to editor leads to first naval ship being named for DE since the 1920's

    By Frank Gerace 8:15pm, May 1, 2016 - Updated 10:44am, May 2, 2016
    A letter to the editor resulted in the Navy naming its first ship in honor of Delaware in 93 years.

    A keel-laying ceremony was held in Newport News, Virginia, Saturday, April 30, 2016, as construction officially got underway on the USS Delaware--a nuclear submarine with the designation SSN 791.

    A letter to the editor in the News-Journal back in 2012 prompted Senators Tom Carper and Chris Coons and Congressman John Carney to write to Navy Secretary Ray Mabus that year asking that he consider naming a ship after the First State.

    The previous USS Delaware, a battleship, was de-commissioned in 1923 after 13 years of service, and Naval Vessel Registry records show 42 other states have had ships named after them since then.

    Vice President Biden's wife Jill hosted the keel-laying ceremony, and will christen the new sub when it's completed.


    Charges against 5 ex-officers accused of bilking Millsboro American Legion Post dropped - though they may be brought again

    By WDEL staff 1:46pm, May 2, 2016
    The Delaware Department of Justice in early April brought charges against five men accused of stealing more than $640,000 from an American Legion Post in Millsboro, but officials are now walking back on those charges--temporarily.

    According to the DOJ, the charges against the following men were dropped:
  • Sam Mauger, 65
  • Jim Gallagher, 65
  • Edward Mazewski, 69
  • Michael Rooney
  • Charles Nimmericher/li>

    The DOJ said new information led to the temporary clearing of the men, who had been charged with embezzling $641,000 from the Millsboro American Legion Post where they, in their positions as officers, allegedly signed numerous checks out to cash, cashed the checks at local banks, then kept the money themselves.

    New information discovered means the charges against the men has been dropped, DOJ officials said.

    However, authorities noted the information, which is now requiring additional investigation, may lead to additional charges later as a criminal inquiry will continue.

    A sixth suspect was initially identified for also stealing money, but that person died prior to the investigation.


    NCCo Dems nominate possible replacement for late Councilman Reda

    By Frank Gerace 9:11am, May 2, 2016 - Updated 10:50am, May 2, 2016
    New Castle County Democrats nominated a potential replacement for County Councilman Joe Reda, who passed away last month.

    Ken Woods is their choice to run for the District 1 Council seat that's been vacant since Reda's death at age 73 back on April 15th, 2016, New Castle County Democratic committee members announced Sunday.

    Woods has served on the Red Clay school board since 2008, and said in a statement if he's elected to Council, he'll focus on issues including responsible development, code enforcement and fighting crime.

    A special election to fill the vacant seat is set for May 24th, with Woods the only candidate so far.


    Masked, gun-wielding man sought in Newark gas station holdup

    By Frank Gerace 8:51pm, May 1, 2016 - Updated 10:53am, May 2, 2016
    A masked man who held up a Newark-area gas station is still at large, and Delaware State Police are asking for the public's help finding him.

    The holdup man held a gun on a clerk at the Shell station in the 1100 block of Christiana Road around 1:45 p.m. Sunday, demanding money from the register, police said.

    The robber ran off with some cash, and is described as between 5'8" and 6' tall and 180 to 220 lbs., wearing a black hoodie and black pants.

    Anyone with information can call the Robbery unit at 302.365.8566.

    Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1.800.TIP.3333, via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com, or by sending an anonymous tip by text to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword "DSP."


    Troopers seek 2 in Magnolia home invasion

    By Frank Gerace 9:06pm, May 1, 2016 - Updated 10:53am, May 2, 2016
    Two masked, gun-wielding men are at large after a home invasion and robbery in Magnolia.

    The pair broke into a house on Woodville Drive around 3:40 a.m. Sunday, demanding money and drugs from the two adults and one child inside, Delaware State Police said.

    One suspect hit one occupant, a woman, in the head before the suspects rummaged through the house, taking cash and cell phones and running away.

    The suspects wore dark clothing, and one was 6' tall, while the other was between 5'4" and 5'8".

    Police aren't releasing other details at this point to avoid compromising their investigation.

    Anyone with information is urged to contact Delaware State Police at 302.697.8495, Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1.800.TIP.3333, via the internet at www.delaware.crimestoppersweb.com, or by sending an anonymous tip by text to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword "DSP."




  • Most Recent Stories