Newark house fire displaces couple and dog

By Frank Gerace 10:13pm, October 9, 2012 - Updated 8:35am, October 10, 2012
The state Fire Marshal's office is investigating a Newark blaze that forced a couple and their dog out of their house Tuesday night.

Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder Company's John Farrell tells WDEL News crews were dispatched to the 100 block of Coopers Drive around 6:40pm.

He says, "And they arrived to find a kitchen fire that was well involved--the fire department made a quick hit on it, but as fires go, the kitchen, basically, was destroyed, and the house, because of smoke damage, was left uninhabitable."

Click here to listen

Farrell says the fire was under control in about ten minutes, but by that time, it had done more than $15,000 damage.

The Red Cross is helping the displaced occupants with emergency shelter and other needs.

Most Recent Stories