School districts band together seeking federal grant money

By Jim Hilgen 10:32pm, October 24, 2012 - Updated 10:59am, October 25, 2012
WDEL's Jim Hilgen talks with BSD Assistant Superintendent Lincoln Hohler.
A diverse group of Delaware school districts are joining forces in hopes of landing a $30 million federal education grant.

WDEL's Jim Hilgen has the story.

Click here to listen

Under the acronym of BRINC, the coalition includes Brandywine, Indian River, New Castle County Vo-Tech and Colonial School Districts.

Brandywine Assistant Superintendent Lincoln Hohler says the districts involved want to further all students' academic achievement.

"That consortium would comprise 20 percent of the state in terms of students, the we will lead the way for the remaining 80 percent, and do the legwork," says Hohler.

Click here to listen

Hohler says hopes of winning a $30 million grant has the districts vowing to cooperate.

"All districts will have access to what the other districts have created. Again, in the true spirit of what a consortium should be, historically, traditionally districts don't share curriculum, don't share best practices," Hohler.

Click here to listen

The federal money would fund technology-driven educational initiatives.

Consortium districts will design blended learning programs, develop personalized learning plans and offer opportunities for online learning, dual enrollment, and mastery learning credits for students.

The BRINC group is among more than 900 districts seeking a limited number of grants.

The proposal must be filed with Washington by October 30.

Most Recent Stories