There's consensus in Division 1, but lots of room for thought in Division 2, as our staff takes our guesses as to what will happen this weekend.
SEAN GREENE - Last Week - 15-7 (68%) Overall - 185-43 (81%)
DON VOLTZ - Last Week - 14-8 (64%) Overall - 175-53 (77%)
PHIL ALMQUIST - Last Week - 15-7 (68%) Overall - 174-54 (76%)
KEVIN HAYES - Last Week - 16-6 (73%) Overall - 170-57 (75%)
GARY SCHOFIELD - Last Week - 18-4 (82%) Overall - 143-61 (70%)
Friday, November 16
No. 5 Salesianum (8-2) at No. 4 Middletown (8-2) - 7:30pm (101.7FM WDEL)
SEAN GREENE - Middletown 34-14
- Middletown QB Drew Fry threw 5 touchdown passes in the first meeting between these teams in October. The Cavs defense also shined when Salesianum tried to pass the ball, and that would be a key to any Sals upset.
DON VOLTZ - Middletown 28-21
PHIL ALMQUIST - Middletown 28-21
KEVIN HAYES - Middletown 35-14
GARY SCHOFIELD - Middletown 41-21
CONSENSUS: Middletown 5-0, some think it will be close, some don't.
No. 6 Appoquinimink (6-4) at No. 3 Sussex Central (9-1) - 7:30pm (Delaware 105.9FM)
SEAN GREENE - Sussex Central 28-0
- Normally I wouldn't pick a shutout, but Sussex Central had 7 of them this season. Appoquinimink's first-ever appearance in the tournament is absolutely to be celebrated, but it's hard to envision them having offensive success. Earning points on defense will be crucial for the Jags.
DON VOLTZ - Sussex Central 42-7
PHIL ALMQUIST - Sussex Central 35-7
KEVIN HAYES - Sussex Central 35-0
GARY SCHOFIELD - Sussex Central 31-6
CONSENSUS: Sussex Central 5-0. No one thinks Appo will score two touchdowns, that could fire up the playoff-newbies.
No. 1 A.I. duPont (9-0) at No. 8 Tower Hill (8-2) - 7:30pm
SEAN GREENE - A.I. duPont 21-14
- Yes, the No. 1 seed will be on the road, but playing on Tower Hill's surface figures to actually help the Tigers' speed. We waited all year to really learn how good Tower Hill was, and their near-miss against Friends was an eye-opener, especially with the defensive performance. This could be lower scoring than many people think, and if it's not, it's a Tigers' romp.
DON VOLTZ - A.I. duPont 35-14
PHIL ALMQUIST - A.I. duPont 35-14
KEVIN HAYES - A.I. duPont 42-7
GARY SCHOFIELD - Tower Hill 28-27
CONSENSUS: A.I. duPont 4-1. Gary breaks away, with Tower Hill's highest predicted point total.
No. 5 Howard (8-2) at No. 4 Woodbridge (8-2) - 7:30pm (ESPN 930AM/102.1FM)
SEAN GREENE - Woodbridge 28-8
- Howard is certainly no gift match-up for the Henlopen South champions. The Wildcats are tough to judge: They scored 26 points against a very good Hodgson team, but scored just a total of 6 against A.I. duPont and St. Georges. Ultimately, Brock Keeler and the Blue Raiders defense should keep them in check, and Woodbridge will find enough offense for the win.
DON VOLTZ - Woodbridge 24-20
PHIL ALMQUIST - Woodbridge 28-21
KEVIN HAYES - Woodbridge 25-22
GARY SCHOFIELD - Woodbridge 30-28
CONSENSUS: Woodbridge 5-0, but most think it will be close.
Saturday, November 17
No. 6 Delmar (9-1) at No. 3 Archmere (9-1) - 7:30pm (ESPN 930AM/102.1FM)
SEAN GREENE - Delmar 27-24
- Feels like the game of a very competitive Division 2 weekend. Mitchell Moyer and the Auks have done everything that's been asked of them since the early-season loss to Dover. Delmar sputtered down the stretch against their elite Henlopen South brethren, but the South has been dominant in recent tournaments, and the championship experience of the Wildcats should be enough.
DON VOLTZ - Delmar 42-20
PHIL ALMQUIST - Archmere 21-14
KEVIN HAYES - Delmar 24-22
GARY SCHOFIELD - Archmere 28-20
CONSENSUS: None. Delmar technically wins 3-2, but there's solid agreement this will come down to the final minute.
No. 2 Friends (8-1) vs. No. 7 DMA (7-3) - 1pm at Tower Hill
SEAN GREENE - Friends 14-7
- Another game that got moved from natural grass to artificial turf late in the week, the story of this game is how Wilmington Friends will try to contain DMA's all-state candidate RB Corahn Alleyne. Alleyne hasn't been 100%, but his running, or the threat of his running, keeps them in the game. The Quaker offense struggled against Tower Hill last week, but QB Wyatt Nelson is capable of enough big plays, just don't throw it to Alleyne.
DON VOLTZ - Friends 20-18
PHIL ALMQUIST - DMA 28-21
KEVIN HAYES - DMA 27-20
GARY SCHOFIELD - Friends 20-13
CONSENSUS: None. This time Friends wins 3-2, but again, a touchdown or less all the way across the board.