A 27-year-old man arrested in connection to a June shooting in Dover was accidentally released from police custody and has gone missing since, authorities announced Monday.
According to Dover Police, Dion Williams was arrested by officers of the US Marshals First State Fugitive Task Force and Dover Police on Friday, September 13, 2019, in connection to a June 1 shooting at Janaid's Salon which ultimately claimed the life of Julius Johnson, 31, from the Dover area.
Johnson had been treated for serious injuries as a result of the shooting, but succumbed to his injuries on July 5.
Williams was charged with first-degree assault, possession of a firearm during commission of a felony, possession of a firearm by a person prohibited, carrying a concealed deadly weapon, and four counts reckless endangering, and was set to be committed to the Sussex Correctional Institution in lieu of $87,000 cash bond, police said. Additional charges may be possible for that case, police said.
On the date of his arrest, Williams was transported by a Dover Police officer tot he Kent County court after his arraignment to face consequences of an active warrant, according to police, and he was transferred to the custody of Capitol Police.
On Monday, September 16, due to a communication by a Dover officer, Williams was released once his warrant was cleared. He remained wanted on third-degree escape charges Monday afternoon. Anyone with information regarding Williams's whereabouts is urged to contact Dover Police at 302.736.7111 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1.800.TIP.3333.