On Saturday, a joint memorial service for Lt. Christopher Leach and Sr. Firefighter Jerry Fickes was held at Wilmington's Chase Center on the Riverfront.
Friend says Leach always put others before himself and he died thinking there were people inside the house who needed his help. @WDEL— Lauren Huet (@LaurenRHuet) October 1, 2016
The October 1, 2016, ceremony will be one which includes the traditional "Last Alarm," a practice of retiring the emergency responders from service over dispatch.
Over the last couple days, Fickes and Leach were memorialized and buried by their respective families in individual services, but Saturday was arranged to allow the coming together of the entire Wilmington communities--and certainly, the surrounding ones, many of whom are expected to have emergency response members in attendance.
Leach and Fickes were killed, and Lt. John Cawthray, Sr. Firefighter Ardythe Hope, Sr. Firefighter Terrence Tate and Firefighter Brad Speakman were all injured responding to a fire at 1927 Lakeview Road, in the Canby Park section of Wilmington.
Clockwise from top-left: Ardythe Hope, Brad Speakman, Terrence Tate, and John Cawthrey
The fire is alleged to have been intentionally set, and Beatriz Fana-Ruiz, 27, daughter of the property owner, has been charged for the deaths.
Traffic in the area of 815 Justison Street should be extremely heavy. Beginning at 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., Shipyard Drive and Delmarva Lane will be closed completely to vehicular traffic, Wilmington Police said.
The memorial is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.
- Canby Park house fire leaves 2 firefighters dead, 2 critical
- Fire scanner audio captures drama of deadly Saturday fire in Canby Park
- Processional held for 2 firefighters killed in Wilmington blaze
- Wilmington Fire Chief says 1 of the 2 fallen firefighters was trying to save the other
- Memorial information is released for Wilmington's fallen firefighters
- Volunteers work makes house safe for investigators after fatal fire
- Wilmington fallen firefighters remembered on US Senate floor
- Efforts to help families of fallen Wilmington firefighters marred by scammers
- Wilmington Firefighter Jerry Fickes remembered as a good friend, father and hero
- GALLERY: Wake and funeral for Wilmington firefighter Lt. Christopher Leach
- Hundreds honor fallen Wilmington firefighter Lt. Leach
- Store helping public honor the Canby Park firefighters