Starting on Wednesday, September 15, 2021, tractor trailers will be restricted from using Interstate 95 through the Restore the Corridor work zone in Wilmington.
Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) officials said signage went up earlier this week, and they've been working with regional trucking organizations to alert truck drivers of the impending change.
DelDOT spokesman C.R. McLeod said about 70% of truck traffic is already using I-495 as an alternate, but they're looking to divert all multi-axle traffic from I-95.
"When we've seen crashes involving tractor trailers in the work zone they tend to snarl traffic for a significant amount of time," said McLeod.
Tractor trailers that are pulled over or that are involved in crashes in the work zone, will be cited by Delaware State troopers.
"They're the ones having to go out when there are crashes out there so they were very supportive of this truck restriction being put in place," said McLeod.