Taylor Reynolds

The girlfriend of a former Newark football star lost consciousness in a violent assault and strangulation over July 4th weekend that occurred while the couple's year-and-a-half-old child was inside a Newark apartment, according to court records obtained by WDEL.

Taylor W. Reynolds, 25, struck his girlfriend, Saturday night, causing the victim to suffer lacerations to her lips and gashes above her eyebrow, then head-butted her, knocking her unconscious for a brief time, according to court records.

Police said Reynolds also placed his hands around the victim's neck and strangled her.

In court records, police said that they arrived at an apartment on the 300 block of Christina Mill Drive early Sunday, July 7, 2019, and found the victim naked, covering herself with only a towel. Police said they observed "fresh" injuries to her face, including a swollen and bruised lip, a gash above her right eyebrow, bite marks on her ears, and bruises to her back and legs. Police also observed finger marks on the victim's neck, according to court documents.

The victim told police, she and Reynolds had just put their 17-month-old child to bed and had some drinks. Police said the drinks led to arguing that "quickly escalated," to Reynolds becoming physical. The victim told police she screamed and banged on walls in hopes of alerting neighbors to the alleged assault.

Court records said Reynolds placed both hands around her neck and though she couldn't breathe, she remained conscious. When she tried to scream, the victim said Reynolds placed his hands over her mouth and then head-butted her, causing her to briefly lose consciousness. The victim said when she saw her bloody reflection in the mirror, she screamed, and Reynolds began beating her again. 

After he stopped, the victim said she pretended she was asleep. She claims Reynolds then had sex with her while she pretended to be asleep. The victim said she sneaked out of the apartment after Reynolds fell asleep and called 911.  

By the time officers had arrived, police said Reynolds had kicked out a screen and fled the scene, leaving his 17-month-old child alone in the apartment, court records showed. Police said inside the residence they observed signs of a struggle, including bloodstains on the bed.

Reynolds went on the lam several days, but turned himself into Newark Police late Wednesday night on charges of strangulation and second-degree assault, recklessly causing intentional serious injury. He's now free after posting $16,000 cash bail.

WDEL has learned Reynolds, who was a New Castle County Police recruit, was actually sworn in last week, in advance of graduation Thursday night, along with the other cadets. While he is officially a New Castle County Police officer, he has not been issued police powers, a gun, or a badge. Officer First Class Grigori Lopez-Garcia called it "standard practice."

But now, the criminal case has halted his graduation from the academy.

"Our primary concern is with the victim of this crime. Taylor Reynolds’ alleged actions contradict the values held by the New Castle County Police," said Lopez-Garcia in a written statement. 

Reynolds was placed on administrative leave without pay pending the outcome of an internal investigation.

Reynolds was a star Newark High School quarterback and an All-American cornerback at James Madison University. He went on to sign as a rookie free agent with the Atlanta Falcons, but was released without playing a regular season game in July 2017.

Assistant News Director

Amy Cherry is the Assistant News Director and an investigative journalist at WDEL. She joined WDEL's award-winning news team in 2010 from WBZ Newsradio 1030 in Boston and has received national accolades for reporting.