Wesley's Nick Bruhn kicks the game-winning field goal at Endicott

Wesley's Nick Bruhn kicks the game-winning field goal at Endicott

Wesley's Nick Bruhn hit a 27-yard field goal with :03 left to complete a 17-point comeback and a 20-17 win at Endicott Saturday afternoon.

The Wolverines went to halftime trailing 17-0 after Endicott QB Dylan Bonfilio rushed for a 4-yard score and tossed a 3-yard touchdown to TE Riley Stanley on the Gulls' opening two drives of the game.

Wesley would move the ball on both of their first two possessions, but could not get into scoring range.

After allowing 144 yards on the first two drives for Endicott, Wesley's defense settled in, allowing just 117 yards in the final 46:10 of the game, and that set the stage for a comeback.

Before that happened though, Endicott's Nick DiCairano connected on a 27-yard field goal after an Allen Gibson interception of David Marrocco to create that 3-score lead.

Wesley replaced Marrocco with Jon Mullin, and while the Wolverine offense moved the football fairly successfully in the first half, it was the first drive of the second half that changed the game.

Mullin hit Ruhann Peele on a 23-yard touchdown pass to cap off a 75-yard drive to get Wesley within 17-6 after a blocked extra point.

Endicott would be forced to punt on their first drive of the second half, and after a punt set Wesley up at their own 5, they had drive going into Endicott territory when Mullin was stripped of the football by Tim Russell, giving the momentum back to the Gulls.

Their offense couldn't take advantage, and again Wesley picked up 4 first downs on their next possession, but despite having 3rd-and-2 from the Endicott 6, Wesley could not get a first down, and turned the football over on downs.

The Wolverine defense provided another stop, and this time Wesley's offense wouldn't sputter. A 7-play, 66-yard attack ended with Mullin finding Mike Credle for a 10-yard touchdown, and after a 2-point pass to Peele, Wesley was within 17-14 with 8:41 to go.

Coray Williams intercepted a Bonfilio pass on the next drive, and while Wesley couldn't find the end zone in the red zone for a 3rd time in the game, they did set up a 23-yard Nick Bruhn field goal with 4:20 left to tie the game at 14-14.

Endicott's offense went 3-and-out one more time, and Wesley had the football at their own 42 with 2:00 to go.

10 plays later, Wesley was down at the Endicott 10, and they called on Bruhn again.

The senior's kick from 27 yards away split the uprights with 3 seconds later, setting off a celebration at the center of the field.

Bruhn had to settle his adrenaline, and his pooch kick was bobbled by Endicott, and when Marcus Griffin fell on the football for Wesley, the comeback and victory was complete.

Mullin finished 22-for-27 for 253 yards and 2 touchdowns all in the second half in the win.

Ruhann Peele caught 11 passes for 180 yards and a touchdown, while tight end Ricky Hess had 6 grabs for 64 yards.

Abe Mansaray helped spell E.J. Lee, finishing with a team-high 75 yards rushing and 3 catches for 13 more yards.

Shymere Vessels moved to defensive tackle for the game, and he had 10 first-half tackles with 3 for loss, and was credited with 12 stops in the game.

Wesley (3-0) takes next Saturday off, before they hold their conference and Miller Stadium opener against Rowan on October 5 at 1 p.m.

Donfilio threw for 149 yards on 18-for-27 passing for Endicott (2-1).