Sussex Tech's K.J. Custis runs through an attempted Smyrna tackle during a touchdown run

Sussex Tech's K.J. Custis runs through an attempted Smyrna tackle during a touchdown run

Sussex Tech's K.J. Custis scored 5 touchdowns, as they blitzed short-handed Smyrna 61-6 in a Henlopen North shocker Friday night.

The 3-time defending state champions came to Georgetown without Head Coach Mike Judy and Offensive Coordinator Mike Marks. Judy was automatically suspended following his 2 unsportsmanlike conduct fouls against Dover last week, while Marks' status was unknown going into the game, as Smyrna Athletic Director Bill Schultz called a decision on him "a personnel matter" following a publicized rant on the officiating in that game.

Despite the distractions, Smyrna came out of the gate strong, quickly working down the field to set up a 14-yard Aidan Sanchez to Stephen Whaley touchdown, giving them a 6-0 lead just 2:04 into the contest.

That lead only lasted 15 seconds, or the time it took Jalen Snead to race 99 yards the other direction for a kick return touchdown, and Tech took the lead on the extra point.

Smyrna's offensive line had issues with the Ravens all night, including a key sack by Conor Ellingsworth that helped get the Ravens' offense back on the field.

Custis would cash in, as he ran straight behind right guard, shaking two tacklers, and then spinning out of a 3rd potential stop before sprinting the rest of the 58 yards to jump the lead to 13-6.

Quarterback Chase Snyder then culminated the next drive with a 1-yard sneak, and Sussex Tech had a 19-6 lead after the opening quarter.

After being down 20-0 to Dover last week, but nearly winning anyway, Smyrna still felt they had a chance, but turnovers and failed 4th down opportunities doomed their hopes, as Sussex Tech kept scoring with every possession.

Michael Norsworthy broke out an 18-yard run, that set up a 2-yard finish to get the Ravens on the board in the 2nd quarter, before Custis started up the middle and broke left for a 50-yard touchdown to push the lead to 34-7.

Custis then played solid defense as well, stepping in front of a long screen pass and busting 67 yards for his 3rd touchdown of the half.

On Sussex Tech's next drive, it appeared to be the exact same route to the end zone on a 46-yard play for Custis, as he again end untouched.

Sussex Tech led 48-6 at halftime.

Custis would add a 77-yard touchdown in the 3rd quarter, while understudy Andrell Fulton scored on the final play of the game to finish off the assault.

The 61 points is the most allowed for Smyrna since their 76-56 classic against Colby Reeder and Salesianum in 2015.

Sussex Tech (4-4) keeps their faint playoff hopes alive, as they prepare to host Polytech for Senior Night next Friday. They will need help from Appoquinimink and St. Georges as they fight for the 6 seed in the state tournament.

Smyrna's loss (2-5) means the 3-time defending champions are out of the Division 1 playoff picture, although their home game with Salesianum next Friday still will have major meaning for the Sals.