Wesley WR Ruhann Peele catches a TD against Franklin Pierce

Wesley WR Ruhann Peele catches a TD against Franklin Pierce

Wesley's Coray Williams intercepted a pass in quadruple-overtime as the Wolverines fended off No. 13 Delaware Valley 24-18 in a thrilling game Saturday afternoon.

Two of the East Region's traditional powers combined for 111 points in their season opening shutout wins, but the shutout part would reign supreme over what the offenses had accomplished in Week 1.

Neither team could put together more than 2 first downs on a drive until the final drive of the first half, when Delaware Valley got into range for a 32-yard field goal that Nick Restaino hooked, the the teams went to halftime scoreless.

Wesley broke the ice on their first drive of the second half, as Jerrish Halsey collected a 51-yard pass from David Marrocco, which set up Nick Bruhn's 27-yard field goal and a 3-0 Wesley lead.

That score would hold into the early moments of the 4th quarter, when DelVal's longest drive of the game, 17 plays, 77 yards, was stopped in the red zone, only to have Restaino redeem himself from 34 yards away to tie the game.

Wesley would drive down to the Delaware Valley 30, but could get no further, and the game went to overtime.

In the first overtime, Dante Daniel intercepted a DVU pass in the end zone for Wesley, but with a chance to win, Nick Bruhn's 35-yard field goal kick came up short, keeping the game 3-3.

In double -overtime, Wesley got in the end zone for the first time on the day as EJ Lee put together back-to-back rushes of 7 and 8 yards, the second of which broke the plane of the goal line, giving Wesley a 10-3 lead.

DVU would be down to their final down on 4th-and-3, but Anthony Fontana converted with a pass, and two plays later scored on a 6-yard rush, and after a made extra point, the times would play on.

Delaware Valley started the 3rd overtime with a pass to Aaron Nelson, who fumbled, but the Aggies were able to recover at the Wesley 9. Mario Nigro scored on the next play on the ground, and then Juwan Manigo caught a 2-point conversion pass to give DVU an 18-10 edge.

Wesley had to answer, and it was Marrocco to Peele from 13-yards away that brought Wesley within 18-16, and Chuck Simpson took a backwards lateral on the outside and just got to the pylon for the conversion, and an extension of the game.

Wesley would start the first 4th overtime in school history with a quick bubble screen to Peele for one yard, and then on the next play Marrocco lifted a pass to Peele in the end zone, and the Rutgers-transfer came down with the football. Wesley failed on their conversion making the game 24-16.

Delaware Valley was backed down to its final opportunity on 4th-and-2, and Anthony Fontana's pass was intercepted by Williams in the end zone, and the Wolverines had their victory.

The overtime touchdowns masked strong performances by both defenses.

Wesley only totaled 223 yards of total offense in regulation, while holding Delaware Valley to just 250 yards, including 1 yard on their final three drives after tying the game at 3-3.

Peele's two overtime touchdown catches gave up 6 grabs for 64 yards in the game. 

Wesley again split quarterbacks, with Marrocco going 16-for-36 for 197 yards and the two overtime scores, while Jon Millin completed 3-of-7 for just 7 yards. Neither QB suffered a turnover in what was a clean game for the Wolverines in that department.

EJ Lee led all rushers with 105 yards on 25 carries and his overtime touchdown.

Defensively, 9 Wolverines were part of the 8 tackles for loss, including 2 by Shymere Vessels. Dante Daniel led the team with 9 tackles (1 for loss), and an interception.

Wesley (2-0) wraps up its non-conference schedule when they return to New England to face 2-0 Endicott next Saturday at noon in Beverly, Massachusetts.