Losing to the 3rd best team in the country was worth absolutely nothing to Middletown, but that’s the strangeness of the Division 1 point system, at times.
IMG Academy’s overall population is listed at about 1,200 students, but considering they house 5-12th grade athletes, they’re a Division 2 team by Delaware’s standards, and since they don’t have 7 wins (yet), Middletown’s loss earned them 0 points.
That’s certainly not going to be enough to keep Middletown out of the tournament, but after 7 weeks, the question begins to form whether it could cost them a 1st round bye in the DIAA Tournament.
Likely it won’t matter though, because they still get to play top-pointed Hodgson, and Sussex Central still has a Division 2 game to go (Indian River), so the Cavs have a pathway back to the top seed in the tournament.
Salesianum jumped a spot on the heels of Caesar Rodney’s loss to Sussex Tech, putting the riders in a group with St. Georges and Appoquinimink for that 6th seed, that could come down to whether the Henlopen North or Flight A get more teams to 7 wins.
Smyrna’s loss to Dover puts them on the brink of elimination, they now must win out, and may need CR, St. Georges, AND Appo to lose twice to find a way, although Smyrna should get bonus points from Franklin, Dover, and potentially Salesianum to try to get a chance to defend their state championship.
As always, if you see something wrong, please drop Sean Greene a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Division I Opponent: 6 Points for a win, 1 Point for a Loss
Division II Opponent: 4 Points for a win, 0 Points for a Loss
Bonus Points: 1 for 7 or 8 opponent wins, 2 for 9 or 10 wins
September 30, 2016 attendance count boundary: 1,119 students, or 560 for all-male schools
Out-Of-State Opponents (Recent Changes in Bold)
Division I: Urbana, Father Judge, Westminster (6-2), Franklin (6-2), Mergenthaler (7-0), Queen Anne’s, IMG Academy (6-1)
Division II: Episcopal (5-2)
Bonus Point Opponents
7 Wins: Hodgson, Delmar, Mergenthaler
1) Hodgson – 7-0 (6+4+6+6+4+6+6=38/7=5.43) - St. Georges, @Appo, Middletown
T-2) Sussex Central – 6-1 (2*+6+4+6+6+6+6=36/7=5.14) - @Cape, CR, Indian River
T-2) Middletown – 6-1 (6+6+6+6+6+6+0=36/7=5.14) - @Newark, Concord, @Hodgson
4) Dover – 6-1 (4+4+6+1+6+6+6=33/7=4.71) - @Polytech, Cape, CR
5) Salesianum – 5-2 (6+6+6+6+1+0+6=31/7=4.43) – Westminster, @Smyrna, St. Mark’s
6) Caesar Rodney – 4-3 (6+1+6+6+1+6+1=27/7=3.86) – @Brandywine, @Central, @Dover
7) St. Georges – 4-3 (0+6+6+1+1+6+6=26/7=3.71) – @Hodgson, William Penn, @Delcastle
8) Appoquinimink – 4-3 (1+6+1+6+1+4+6=25/7=3.57) – @Concord, Hodgson, @William Penn
9) William Penn – 2-5 (2*+1+1+6+6+2*+1=19/7=2.71) – Delcastle, @St. Georges, Appo
10) Smyrna – 2-4 (1+1+6+6+1+1=16/6=2.67) – @Sussex Tech, Salesianum, Polytech
11) Sussex Tech – 3-4 (4+1+4+1+1+1+6=18/7=2.57) - Smyrna, Polytech, @Cape
12) Newark – 2-5 (0+6+2*+1+6+1+1=17/7=2.43) - Middletown, @DMA, @Saint E